Thursday, July 31, 2008

It's My Etsy-versary Today!

Here are some pretty flowers for all of you on this last day of July! An Etsy-versary present of sorts:)


A year ago today, I was super bummed out over just losing a little part-time job that I had counted on to make a little extra cash. It wasn't much, just some filing, filing out paperwork, making phone calls, a few hours a week. But it was my way of making a little extra money while I took care of Ciaran. Not that I needed the job, or even wanted it, it was just something to do, and I could bring Ciaran with me. Well, that didn't work out very well. Poor little guy didn't like the place I guess. It was too hard for me to get anything done with him there. He just wanted to be held and fed the whole time we were there. When I went in on my last day, the woman I worked for told me very kindly that she didn't think it was the appropriate job for me and that she was going to be re-structuring the position and make it easier for the people that already worked for her. Then she told me I should stick with childcare........I don't remember if I rolled my eyes at her or not. It is amazing how many people have said that to me, even after they hear all of my horror stories from my child care adventure. Apparently I should go back to school and get more education AND THEN open up my own child care center. I guess she really didn't bother to listen to my education and work history. Oh well, not many people do. (I worked as a teacher and ran three different child care programs over the last twenty-one years, I HATED IT towards the end and I wasn't quiet about that fact.)

If I remember correctly, I found and announcement for a local artist's new Etsy store in craigslist. I quickly looked Etsy up. Then I started looking around. Then I fell in love. It's funny I can not find that artist's shop now. I always meant to convo her to congratulate her on her shop and to thank her for introducing me to Etsy. So I say congratulations and Thank you to you anonymous artist person, wherever you may be.

So shortly after, I put my shop together and listed a few things. I think I listed my masks and sun catchers first, then some jewelry, then some leather pieces. It took me from my opening to Halloween to make my first sale, but I did and I am happy. I have met the most interesting and wonderful people through Etsy. That in itself is worth it all to me. It is because of Etsy that I can stay at home with Ciaran and follow my path.........thanks to all the people of Etsy for being so wonderful, You guys ROCK!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your etsyversary!

kim* said...

thats cool. ya i too worked in childcare...it definitely takes someone who won't bring the work home.

My 7th Heaven said...

Congrats on your etsyversary! Your stuff rocks!

Tasha Early said...

Well, happy (late) etsyversary!!!