Friday, October 31, 2008

Pumpkin Carving!



The little devil has his tail and pitchfork. The soul cakes are made, and the jack o' lantern is carved. Now on to our other festivities after the little devil is done napping. Looks like we are in for a very rainy Halloween, luckily we will just be hanging out on the plaza trick or treating then back to Mark's shop to watch all the goblins and ghouls come out to get their treats.

We had a busy morning, the devil's tail still needed to be attached and I wanted to get the jack o' lantern carved and the pumpkin seeds roasted so I wouldn't have to do very much when we get home from trick or treating. I made soul cakes this year because Ciaran can't eat candy yet and I wanted to make sure he got a treat of some kind. I have wanted to make soul cakes since I was a kid and first read about them in an article about the history of Halloween. So I looked up a recipe and got started. I did add some apple to them as a request from Mark(along with peanut butter icing for them). I couldn't get into the peanut butter icing though, it just kind of took over the flavor of the cookie. So we went with plain old powdered sugar and they are just swell!

I look forward to a nice afternoon out and about then home for split pea soup, scary movies, and a beer(or two!) Then it's on to November, man oh man does time go by fast! Happy Halloween everyone!

No comments: